Friday, August 22, 2008

I Feel Good



I passed a homeless man today. He was holding a sign up that read "will work for food, shelter or $. I'll watch your dog." He was sitting cross-legged on the corner of a busy intersection. I pulled up next to him and looked at him. He looked up at me and I smiled. He smiled back. I instantly began wondering why he became homeless. Is it merely a choice because he wanted to? He had to? What was his name? Where was his family? Where was he from? Was he honest with his note on his sign?

But what I really began to think about were the Street Kids in Ambo. This is a picture of them eating the lunch that we served them that afternoon of our third day in Ethiopia.

There were about 60 of them; all young men between the ages of 8-17-years-old. They were homeless. Kicked out of their homes due to lack of food/money or for other various reasons. These boys became each other's family and took care of one another.

We spent that day with them and after eating lunch we hit the soccer field. A soccer field that was mud - thick, sticky mud. After running down the field and slipping nearly 10 times, I was done and made my way to the sidelines. I attempted to scrape the 10 pounds of mud that had engulfed by shoes when a young boy came up to me and motioned for my foot. He then took out a tool and began to scrape the mud off of my shoes. I looked down at this young boy and noticed that he was barefoot himself.

How is this possible? How could he be a servant in that moment? He had nothing, but he gave me everything he had. My eyes began to water and I had to look away in fear that my tears would swell and spill out of my eyes. What a beautiful portrait to see this boy caring for me in such a way and then to look in front of me and seeing another young boy doing the same for another one of my team members.

What an example they demonstrated...selflessness...servanthood...caretaker...innocence...

These were real people...real stories...real lives...real hearts...real names...
They were so real and I felt so...fake!

I felt so good that day because they were so real. The more real they were, the more real and alive I became. I felt convicted by my superficial and judgmental ways of living. It was so easy that day to be myself because I let my judgments go...

It is much easier to just enjoy people for who they are, rather than for what they are.

That is why I loved that day in Ambo...I saw them for who they really are...beautiful and genuine. I see them how God wants me to see people. He sees their soul and I only wish that every day could be like that. How great would it be if we could walk around and see people's character/soul on the outside just like a physical characteristic? It really is freeing...refreshing...stimulating...I felt good (to put it simply).

Felt good is past tense. I should put it in present tense - I feel good.

I didn't feel good before I left for Africa. I worried about the trivial things and I cared a lot about what I had that defined me. The Street Kids saw me for who I really was and it allowed me to do the same for others.

That is why I smiled at the man today holding the cardboard sign. I smiled because I was reminded to see that man for who he was...not a "homeless" man, but just a man that has a name...that has a life...that has a story...and, to be honest, it made me feel good to judge less and love a little bit more...

3 comments:

the bradfords said...

Thanks Jen for reminding us all to look beyond what we initially see. I love reading your stories of Africa. Wish you were her to see your face as you tell me more! Hey, when is the wedding?

Jen E said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging words...
The wedding...well...that's a good question! End of May or June of next year

Anonymous said...

Jen...your description of seeing one another for what we really are took me back to my days in El Salvador. I truly believed they had seen who I really was. You are an excellent writer, keep up the good work! We are praying for you! Love...Kristy