Sunday, April 27, 2008

Who am I to judge?

We were on our bi-weekly conference call, my short term mission group, and our leader asked how our fundraising was going for the trip. A few of my team members explained their frustrations or worries and we all listened and I really felt blessed to not necessarily have to worry about the money aspect, however, I felt an overwhelming presence of God as I sat in the dark of my bedroom and looked out the window. I tried to listen to what my team was saying on the other end, but instead I was wrestling with God. "No, God, I don't want to admit that. I don't want to confess that...it's humiliating." The phone line quieted for a moment and our leader once again asked if anyone else had any comments or concerns. Before I could stop myself, I said it, "It's really not the money for me, but the fact that God has put me in the exact same position of those I had judged. You see, anytime someone from the church or a family friend, would send something in the mail in regards to a mission or fundraising to a Christian school I judged them. It would bother me that they would think of sending us a letter when I knew they had the money or I would really wonder what they were going to do 'somewhere out there'. God has a funny way of humbling us and, for me, he taught me a lesson by putting me in the exact position of those I judged. God is a sort of a comedian, a humbling comedian."
I had said "it"...I had gotten it off my chest. I felt a huge burden lifted off my shoulders. I had admitted it...I had judged.
It's still very hard to write those words. God is teaching me a lesson through this. I continue to face situations where I could, or can, so easily judge others around me, and I continue to go back to this moment...I don't want to say that I never judge or that I don't slip up, but I am more conscious of those times that I do. What is more amazing is how much this experience draws me closer to God. How true it is, that every bad situation can bring glory to God...
I write this blog to you. I have judged you, I nitpicked, I judged your motives, and I am truly sorry. I am humbled to my soul by this experience and I ask you for forgiveness. I thank you for reading my blog, supporting me financially, supporting me spiritually, and for accepting me...wow, God truly is awe-some!

1 comment:

the bradfords said...

Hi Jen,
Love your blog and we are so excited about your trip. We would love to support you both financially and in prayer. Hope to see you when you are home.
Mary Beth