Friday, June 27, 2008

We Can Change the World!

I opened up a book today and inside I found a drawing that my niece had drawn for me while I was in Michigan visiting last month. I remember watching her draw it while we waited for our food at a restaurant. Her mommy had given her a few crayons and some lined notebook paper and she made a masterpiece out of it.

Well, at least I thought it was a masterpiece.

I have purple eyes, a green nose, a red mouth, and orange hair. I also have little lines for arms and legs...it looks exactly like me! :)

I use this drawing as a bookmark because I love it. I love my niece. I love her innocence. She is a 3-year-old doing exactly what a 3-year-old should be doing. Living her life worry-free...

I looked at this drawing today and I couldn't help but think of the children in Africa. I can see pictures of them in my head of their little bodies ravaged by HIV or any other disease that has decided to plague them. I haven't even been to Africa yet, but I have, and you have, seen the pictures...it's horrible.

I remember someone telling me that it was very "commendable" for me to be going to Africa. I was immediately bothered by that word...commendable.

What does that mean?

Commendable.

I know what they meant, and it wasn't meant in a bad way at all, but I don't find what I'm doing commendable. It is something that I must do, that I already love doing (even though I haven't gone) and I don't for one minute think I'm giving up anything in my life in order to help people...human beings in dire need of assistance...our assistance.

This trip really isn't commendable...it's not a cause...I'm not a do-er of good deeds.

This is a real Emergency...they need our help.

There is so much need in this world and I really feel like we all can do a little bit more to help those in this world...even if it's your next door neighbor. It's so rewarding to give back and I think Proverbs 11:25 sums it up well:
"A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes will himself be refreshed."

I feel refreshed...and I thank all of you for supporting me because you have supported them. I pray that all of you spread the word, support your neighbor, love others, donate your time volunteering, or support an organization that you find fantastic! People will benefit from you...you can impact the world!

Do you remember being little and thinking, "I wanna change the world!" Ha...I still believe that...

I leave in 4 days and I was worrying about being prepared spiritually...I felt like all my attention was on packing, moving out of my apartment, saying goodbye to Matt (who left for Afghanistan on Monday), etc. Then I opened up the book today and saw my niece's drawing...it was a perfect reminder that there are little children orphaned all over the world that deserve to draw a picture with a crayon and not have to worry...........

So, I will pack one more piece of paper and one more crayon...even if it impacts only one person...

No comments: