Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Christ of Hope

I spoke with my grandparents on the phone today. They are some of the strongest people I know...the funniest...the most positive...the most encouraging...and the list goes on. I consider them to be "hip" and if you ever get the chance to meet them, then consider yourself to be lucky!:)
However, today it wasn't all laughs and smart a$$ comments that we all like to make with one another. My grandparents talked about my grandma's niece who is only 10 years younger than my grandma and the fact that her niece is dying from liver cancer. My heart went out to them both and to her niece....My grandma posed the question that we always seem to ask, "how can this happen to such a good person?" or the question that I have asked at times, "how can God let this happen?" I don't have any answers...I don't know why He lets certain things happen to people and not to others...
I feel this same way when I think of Africa. How can such a huge injustice go unnoticed by so many? There is so much in this world that doesn't make sense. Yet, that is why I call it the "world"...this isn't heaven and everything isn't perfect or holy...not yet, at least.
The people of Africa will be "holy" either in this lifetime or in heaven. My grandma's niece (who she says is just like a sister to her) will be made perfect by God. God has a way of blinding the darkness by just being who He is. There will be pain and grief, but keeping our hope in Christ always seems to get us through even when we don't feel like we can make it through...his grace carries us through. Our weaknesses allow God to be strong.

I love my grandma. I love my grandpa. I love music as well.
After I got off the phone with them, a song came to mind by Michelle Tumes. I love her voice and her lyrics are very inspirational. This song is dedicated to their niece and also to the children of Africa...I have hope in Christ that one day all of life will one day make sense...


As I travel far from kinships
As I wander far from home
May He grace you with His favor
And breathe the fragrance of His love
May His angels watch and keep you
As you slumber through the night
The gentle hand of God will touch you
As He wakes you with the morning light

May He bring you hope
Hope you've never never known
May the Christ of hope
Embrace you evermore

2 comments:

the bradfords said...

I love your grandparents too Jen, "B-ill" I will never forget how much fun we had when they came up and we got to meet them.

Jen E said...

That is awesome...i hope to see you in about a week!