Monday, May 12, 2008

Titles do matter

"Acting as commander while Major O'Rourke is deployed is Captain Matt Komatsu and his date, Jennifer."
This is how I was introduced this past weekend at Matt's Rescue Squadron's Ball. I was Matt's "date"...like some girl that he had just met through his friend "so-and-so" and he decided to take me as his lucky girl to the Rescue Ball. Ha! :) The truth is that I am Matt's girlfriend of 2 1/2 years. I moved down here to Tucson because of him. I have been there for him while he was finishing up his training to become a Combat Rescue Officer. I spent countless hours on the phone crying, laughing, talking, etc. I know what makes him tick, what makes him laugh, what kind of food he likes, how he never clips his toe nails until I tell him to. He loves strong coffee with cream and sugar. He loves the mountains and snow more than anything. He could go on and on about his two sisters and he thinks the world of his parents. He has supported me more than I give him credit for and the list goes on. I love him more than anything and I felt completely disrespected by the title of "date" as we were announced into the ball this past weekend. The word "date" seemed to diminish everything I felt for him and he for me. Beyond that, this title diminished who I really am to Matt to everyone who attended the ball and heard me announced...you see, titles do matter. However, we must be careful how we think about people once they have been labeled...our judgments aren't always true and can be very innacurate.
What do you think when you hear "date?" Do you react differently when you hear "girlfriend", "fiance",or "wife"? What if I were to say the word(s), "Christian"..."mission trip"..."Christian Organization"...what comes to mind when you hear/see these words?? Are you turned off by these words or do you find yourself relating to them? Think about it for just a few moments....
What is a Christian?
I am a Christian. I mean, I consider myself to be one. I love the Lord and I try to be like him every day...I stress "try". I never want to stop growing as a person who has a lot to learn in this life...God opens my eyes to how hard my heart is towards people, myself, and the world in general. God is love...to be a Christian is to love others and yourself...period. I don't like to claim that I am a Christian...I would rather just "show" how I am a Christian...just be "it"!
What is a mission trip?
I am going on a "mission trip". It is a trip and there is a mission (to visit orphaned chilrden of Ethiopia)...hence mission trip. But do you get this picture in your mind of a bunch of crazy people going over to a country and just thumping on a bible proclaiming God's word to deaf ears? Well, that isn't this kind of trip...God is big enough, do I really need to be loud?? He will use me however he seems appropriate and I trust that. However, please do not assume you know what is going to happen while I'm there...even I don't know that!
What is a "Christian Organization?"
Why label anything a "Christian Organization"...doesn't that seem to limit the span of what God can do in a secular world?? I go on this trip with an organization that aligns their beliefs with the beliefs of what God teaches us...to love others and to refresh those around us. If that makes an organization "Christian", then so be it.

Titles are important because they give us a brief snapshot of what/who people are. However, we have to be very careful with what we do with that information. Do we label people quickly because of titles? Do we judge because of titles? Do we treat people differently because of titles? Yes, we do...I do...I have. I think what is more imporant is to see how people live...that is really who they are.
Therefore, if you were to ask me who I am and why I'm going to Africa, I would much rather say this:
"Hi, my name is Jen (girlfriend to Matty K..ha) and I desperately want to go to Africa to love children that I have never met. My heart yearns to meet them, to show them that I will not forget them and that I will tell everyone that I possibly can about their story. I am going with an organization who believes in these children and who understands, logistically and spiritually, what it takes to get over there to reach these children. I don't fully understand this desire, but it's like anything else in life, when you want something and you know it's right and true, you don't walk away...You do things in life that make you happy and better the world.

That is me in a nutshell..it is me without titles...the real me
But we must defend ourself in a way to the world..."I'm his wife, I'm the CEO, I'm the boss, I'm his owner, I'm in charge, I'm a Christian, I'm an Atheist", etc...titles only allow us to judge and that is what I must do a lot less of...judge others. So, I pray today that we all remember to just look at people as people...leave the titles at the door tomorrow. Could you do that? If you were stripped of your "title(s)" who would you be today??

Much love,
Jen

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey girl! Just saw on your facebook today that you have one of these. I started reading through them, and darlin', when I read that last paragraph of you describing the trip, it shows a glimpse of your heart. and your heart is in the right place (as a little bit more recent blog seemed to be questioning). I think we are all going through this because we don't seem to be as fired up today about this trip as we were back in Jan. Time happens and other things come in our mind. But God put that desire in our hearts and when he asks us to step off that plane in Ethiopia, that desire will still be there and will come to full fire more than we can imagine.

Jen E said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement